We value the planet
A well designed home can deliver a lifetime of thermal comfort, low energy bills, and low greenhouse gas emissions. And it doesn’t have to cost a lot.
Sustainability Can Mean Many Things
Here’s a brief overview of just a few things we consider.
Build a fully sustainable home with a low carbon footprint. We built Josh Byrne’s home to be a 10 star energy efficient home that generates more electricity than it uses, and harvests and recycles water.
Save on energy bills and help the environment. We regularly create homes that are designed to be naturally warm in winter and cool in summer.
Ageing In Place
You want to retain independence and live comfortably in your home as you grow older. We can help you with a floor plan with less obstacles and steps, wider doors, recessed windows, Hobless showers, anti-slip tiles and grab rails.
Build a home with ultra low energy requirements through high levels of insulation, air tightness and double glazing. The home will remain between 20 – 25 degrees Celsius without the need for heating or cooling.
Needing a good solar orientation, solar passive design uses your windows, walls and floors to collect, store, reflect and distribute solar energy.
Adopt filtered air systems to remove nasty pollutants for those with asthma and allergies. Use insulation or soundproofing to help people with autism or sound sensitivities.
SIPs or timber framing systems can deliver excellent insulation. Plus there’s ‘green’ composite panel systems, corrugated metal or solid timber battens for external wall finishes, along with thermally broken double glazed windows.
Build “two houses” under one roof giving you multiple living or income opportunities. They suit teenagers and young adults, ageing parents or earning you extra rental income by simply renting out rooms.
50 Shades Of Green
There’s many levels of green and we can find what suits you. Energy efficient homes can still look modern, save you money and help the planet.
We value helping you
- Providing free home designs ready to use or adapt, saving on design costs.
- Specifying common construction techniques and materials that are readily available.
- Achieving a higher energy rating which reduces the need for heating and cooling-a major contributor to your energy bills.
- Considering good design and construction principles and incorporating the right approach to passive design, materials, insulation, orientation, windows and shading for each climate.
- Including key questions to help you get started with your architect, designer or builder.
- Providing floor plans with versatile spaces and a small footprint.
Sustainable & Energy Efficient Homes
We can help you create a more energy efficient home, or build something that is completely sustainable. Here’s a couple of examples, but we’ll work with your budget, block and desires to get the green outcome that you want.
The CompassEnergy Efficiency
- Energy efficient, solar passive design.
- Wider doors and passageways for elderly or people with disabilities.
Josh Byrne's HomeA Sustainable House
- A 10 star energy efficient home.
- Natural shading, home food production and kids play spaces
- Onsite power generation, water harvesting & greywater recycling.
- Modern, sustainable home with great views.
- Consideration for elderly parents, grandkids and ageing in place.
- Energy efficiency without needing double glazing.
Hard Hat Tours
We invite you to do a ‘hard hat’ tour of a current custom home during the build. Here you can see our quality of workmanship first hand, meet some of the team and discuss ways to ‘green’ your home.
Build with green values
Get in touch today